Jury Duty


I got called for jury duty today. I had to report to the Madison County Courthouse at 8.30. They were chosing jurors for the grand jury and for a civil case to be tried later this week. I would have really liked to be on the grand jury, but sadly did not get chosen.

Instead I was assigned the spot of juror number 11 for the civil case. I have to go back tomorrow to see if I make the final cut. I'm not that keen on serving on the jury, but as I have never done it before, it might be interesting.

Have any of you ever served on a jury? Was the trial interesting?

5 comments:

Olivier said...

tu nous raconteras comment cela se passe, bon je ne pense pas que tu es le droit de prendre des photos ;o)

we tell you how it happens, good I do not think you are the right to take pictures ;o)

Hilda said...

I told Elaine this some time ago. We don't have trial by jury in the Philippines. Won't be possible until we improve our educational system. And we also suffer from problems about corruption on all levels and branches of government, including the judiciary. The Philippines has a long, long way to go…

Halcyon said...

We'll see if I get selected or not this morning. The good (or bad) thing is it's a civil trial, so it's more about money than an actual crime. I am really against how litigious American society has become, so the plaintiff may not want me on the panel. :)

stromsjo said...

Entirely different system here but I wouldn't mind serving on this kind of a jury.

So how did you get not-chosen? Both sides of the case are allowed to remove a number of candidates for whatever reason? I might have seen this process on TV way back. Then again, one shouldn't believe everything on TV, right? ;)

D said...

Served in the jury pool twice, not chosen either time...I'm not taking it personally...:(