To Kill A Mockingbird


My husband and I saw the show this Saturday. I must admit, I was a little disappointed. I was really looking forward to the show as this was one of my favorite books we read in school when I was a child.

The whole show was lacking energy. I didn't really feel a sense of urgency or that someone's life was really at stake. The child actors were also very difficult to understand - they spoke too quickly and mumbled alot, which I suppose stems from a lack of training and/or experience. The only character that I really felt had something to win or lose was the "rape" victim. She brought a lot of energy to her performance. It's just a shame the other actors didn't follow her suit.

I still enjoyed the show though and the set was fabulous. I only wish they could have done more justice to Harper Lee's wonderful story.

5 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

Funny we just picked up the dvd from the library today. My son and I had been listening to this on tape for the last month or so while waiting for the school bus. What a let down that the play wasn't as good as expected, although it's hard to live up to this!

Virginia said...

Have you seen the play in Monroeville, Harper Lee's hometown? Amazing I ihear. My son in law is from there. Also Mary Badham, Scout in the movie, was an old family friend. Small world.

Hilda said...

Sorry to hear that this production wasn't very good. But I agree with you about the stage — looks great! And I love the backdrop!

Olivier said...

je ne connais pas ce livre (je vais me renseigner) mais c'est toujours triste un spectacle qui manque d'envie
I do not know this book (I will learn) but it's always sad when a show that lack of desire

brian stout said...

this was one of my favorites as a kid too =)