A Photo of a Photo


Not only was Eudora Welty a Pulitzer Prize winning author - she was also an accomplished photographer. During the Depression she worked for the Works Progress Administration. She traveled across the state of Mississippi photographing ordinary people. She really had a talent for portraiture - not really a surprise since she was a self-proclaimed people lover. There are several compilations of her photos out on the market - the most widely known One Time, One Place: Mississippi in the Depression.

I hope you've enjoyed my series on Eurdora Welty. I still haven't found something suitable for tomorrow's theme day. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Olivier said...

belle photo d'Eudora Welty. Je viens de voir sur internet des photos d'elle sur le site du NY Times elles sont magnifiques

Hilda said...

Very intriguing costumes. I can't tell if they're supposed to be fishes or birds. The 'capes' look a little like both.

Good luck with the photo! I don't think I have mine yet either.

Halcyon said...

I think they were actually angels in a church pagent or something. The costumes are really neat though!

Anonymous said...

I like this photo a lot. They sure look like Native Americans in costume. I shall have to look about the book.

Lowell said...

Another world. So glad she was able to capture in in photographs!

Jilly said...

Just catching up with your Eudora Welty postings. I have the book you mention. Her photosgraphs are so sensitive, so touching. So glad you have been immersed in these EW celebrations. Wish I were.