Juvenile Woodpecker


I was cleaning off some digital memory cards this weekend when I found a whole pile of pictures from my Wingscapes camera that I had never looked through. About 80 percent were of house finches, but there were also a couple of nice cardinals and woodpeckers, including this young fellow. He's a juvenile red-headed woodpecker, they are all black/gray when they're young so they are less vulnerable from predators, etc. But when he grows up, he'll have a beautiful head of red feathers.

Hope you're having a nice weekend! It's going to be tough going back to work tomorrow. I'm certainly looking forward to the upcoming break!

6 comments:

VP said...

This is a very nice one, glad you found it before erasing those cards. If you wish, you could adjust the contrast a bit and it would be really pefect.

cieldequimper said...

Il est beau, il ne ressemble pas aux nôtres. L'autre jour à la jardinerie, je suis restée un peu comme une autiste devant les boules de graisse pour les mésanges. J'en aurais bien acheté mais je ne vais attirer que des pigeons sales et devoir nettoyer après eux.

Lois said...

That's a nice shot! I need to get one of those cameras.

Halcyon said...

VP: I actually did tweak this photo with Picassa. I sometimes think the photos look different on different computers.

Ciel: We also have a lot of mourning doves here which are close cousins of your pigeons. This is a juvenile red-headed woodpecker. They are all black when they're young so they are not as vulnerable to predators, later his head will turn bright red though.

Lois: I bought my Wingscapes through Amazon. The price has dropped significantly now. But mine was worth it - I really get so much enjoyment out seeing the birds in my yard!

brian stout said...

great photo! i thought it was a woodpecker when i saw it on the portal =)

Lowell said...

That Wingscapes camera is pretty neat! It got this guy and he didn't even know what was going on!