The Big Buddha


This is the Big Buddha of Wuxi. Wuxi is a city about 3 hours northwest from Shanghai. My husband's company has a factory there, so that was our first stop. One of his colleagues helped us organize the rest of our trip and also arranged the company driver to take us to the Buddha and a local park.

The Buddha was really impressive. I'm not sure of the actual dimensions, but I'm sure he could give the Jesus of Rio or the Statue of Liberty a run for the money. My husband and I were the only western tourists there. It's apparently a big draw for Chinese people, but outside of China Wuxi is virtually unknown. There was no mention of the Buddha in our guidebook - even though the city has 7 million inhabitants! I'm glad we got to see this treasure.

5 comments:

Olivier said...

belle photo de ce Bouddha. J'aime beaucoup les statues de Bouddha.

Hilda said...

Wow!

China is so huge and has only very recently opened itself to the rest of the world so it's not surprising that very little about it is published in guidebooks yet. A colleague tells me that their universities are incredibly impressive yet they're virtually unknown to us.

And about your post yesterday: I think I would have freaked out if I saw a gas mask in my hotel room closet!

D said...

7 million people in one city, amazing. Remarkable statue, good shot!
And I'm with Hilda, the masks would've scared me too!

D said...

I tagged you on my blog today so others can see your cool China pics!

Jon said...

This post reminds me of the many Buddha statues and temples I visited in the 7 and a half years I lived in Thailand and Laos many years ago, but I saw none so gigantic as this one! Wow!

My cousin lives and works in Shanghai, and I look forward to visiting him someday.

It is always a treat to visit your blog. Hope y'all have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Jon at Mississippi Garden